Sunday, March 29, 2009

Full of Cakey Goodness

I figured since I have tried the goods from TWO of Brisbane's cupcake boutiques this weekend, that I had better tell you about them.

Thanks to the Brisbane Twitter group, BTUB, I enjoyed cupcakes in New Farm park with some of my fellow Brisbane tweeters.  @shique purchased our cupcakes from two different cupcake boutiques, Poppy Cakes in Fortitude Valley and the Cupcake Parlour at West End.

The Poppy Cakes ones were very good - nice moist cake, sweet icing, cute presentation.  I was really excited to see that they have red velvet cupcakes, as red velvet cake is one of my favourite things in the whole world.  So of course I had to try one of those.  Take a look:

Photobucket

Cute huh?  Want a close up?  Ok, here you go:

Photobucket

My only criticism is that they weren't authentic red velvet cupcakes simply because the icing was plain vanilla icing.  Red velvet cake just isn't red velvet cake without vanilla cream cheese icing.  It's just not the real thing.  But they were still tasty anyway.

The Cupcake Parlour cakes though... what magnificence!  Not only were they totally scrumptious, but every single one was a little work of cupcakey art.  Check 'em out:
Photobucket

Gorgeous aren't they?  Each one totally individually flavoured with it's own style of decoration.  That green one on the bottom right with the pale purple flower?  It was apple.  This is the one that I had:

Photobucket

I also thought this one was extra pretty:

Photobucket

That little rose is just exquisite.

I will say though, eating two cupcakes was no easy feat.  Both types were incredibly sweet (without being sickly) so it was a pretty huge sugar rush afterwards, and then a crash a bit later.  I had to go home and find something savoury for dinner to counter all that sugar!

I'll definitely be buying cupcakes from The Cupcake Parlour again, that's for sure.

1 comment:

BruganCampbell said...

Oh yum, I can almost feel the drool coming on! Eww gross, but you know what I mean.

Sounds like a perfect way to spend a day.